11 June 2010

Afternoon Tea Review - The Peninsula Beverly Hills




Afternoon tea is an absolute necessity (necessi-tea?). And when you love (prize, value, need) afternoon tea the way I do, you don't mind traveling for it! No matter where I go, I search out the best tea venues in town. A quaint little tearoom has its charms and is sometimes precisely what one needs. At other times, only a posh hotel will do.

The Peninsula Beverly Hills offers precisely what I was looking for recently. The luxurious boutique hotel serves a traditional afternoon tea in The Living Room, aptly named for its residential feel. The light and airy room, elegant but unstuffy, is a delightful setting for afternoon tea accompanied by a harpist. The gracious Peninsula staff (our server was a charming young man named Edgar) is always there to see to your needs without ever hovering.

The Imperial Tea started with a glass of sparkling wine and freshly sliced strawberries with whipped cream, followed by a generous portion of caviar over creme fraiche on pumpernickel. Then the three-tiered stand was brought out: scones, sandwiches and pastries. I don't eat smoked salmon, so I can't tell you about that sandwich. The chicken salad, charred vegetable, and egg salad were excellent. The assortment of pastries was delectable, and we were sent home with the signature Peninsula Page Boy-Inspired "Cap Cake."

To make reservations, call 310-788-2306. For tea at home, see: How to Make a Proper Cup of Tea and Tea and Scones. Also, my guest post at Anglotopia, The Ultimate Anglophile's Complete Guide to Afternoon Tea.

6 comments:

Thomas Sullivan said...

Your server was named Edgar? Hmmm.

I'm barely housebroken and incapable of the delights you describe in a formal setting, but that in no way lessens the beauty and enjoyment of them vicariously through your cadenced and lyrical prose. Makes me wish I had lived in James Clavell's Imperial Japan. Spot of tea spot on!

-- Sully

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Thank you, Sully! Do let me know if you learn of any great tea spots.

I hope lots of readers will comment on their favorite tea venues. I have favorites from Atlanta-Buckhead to Victoria BC Canada, not to mention a few in the UK.

Mr. P said...

I have never had a server called Edgar! I need to do tea where you do.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Hey, I just had dinner served by an Edgar--my husband! But by all means, Mr. P, come on over and let's go out to tea!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my About page! Of course I came right over here to check out the Delightful Repast and I've found a lot to, er, digest --

Since you're interested in afternoon tea, I hope you won't mind if I suggest you might like to take a look at my post about having tea at Fortnum & Mason in London: http://mefoley.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/tea-at-fortnum-mason/

Thanks again! (I'm off to try to make Sally Lunn.)

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

I love Fortnum & Mason! And I've always had this fantasy of getting a hamper from them filled with all sorts of wonderful things.