08 October 2010

Equipment Review - Zojirushi CV-DYC40 Water Boiler and Warmer





When I have a tea party for 12, I start with a 10-cup pot of black tea and a 6-cup pot of an herbal tisane or decaffeinated green tea. Right away, the pots are empty. I have the loose tea for subsequent pots measured out and the kettles back on the hob. It can get quite hectic keeping up with the tea-making whilst replenishing the plates of sandwiches, scones and pastries. So when Zojirushi offered to send me their Zojirushi CV-DYC40 Super VE 4-Liter Vacuum Electric Dispensing Pot, I said "Oh, yes, please!"

With its large 4-liter capacity, the Zojirushi water boiler and warmer comes in handy at tea parties of any size. I make my first pots of tea using my two teakettles, and then make subsequent pots from the Zojirushi. No constantly monitoring the stove and all that bother, which is especially a problem when I'm having a tea party in the garden. This particular model has the added convenience of optional battery-powered dispensing, so I could actually unplug it and take it out to the garden for table-side tea-making.

What the "VE Hybrid" means is that it has an energy-saving vacuum insulation, as well as electric, keep-warm system. An electronic feature I really appreciate--because I can be a bit of a hazard--is the "unlock" button you must press before the "dispense" button will work. And 10 seconds after dispensing, the "unlock" light turns off and the automatic dispense lock is activated. So even if I accidentally press the "dispense" button, hot water won't be dispensed.

There are multiple temperature settings: 175, 195, and 208 degrees F; re-boiling at 212 degrees F. It only takes about 35 minutes for the maximum amount of water to come to the boil, and you can refill at any point so you never run out. (That's what the pitcher in the photo is for, filling and refilling.) The control panel displays the actual water temperature at all times. At 8 3/8 x 11 x 13 13/16-inches high, it doesn't take up much more room on the counter than a two-slice toaster and fits easily beneath upper cabinets.

I won't go into all the features, but will finish by saying the Zojirushi has many other applications besides tea parties. When I worked in offices, people were constantly boiling water for tea, hot chocolate, soups and noodles. This wonderful invention would have been a real time-saver. And, of course, coffee drinkers can use it for their French press coffee.

(This photo shows the teapot sitting on the counter beneath the spout, but I actually held the teapot directly under the spout to fill. Couldn't hold the camera and the teapot and press the "dispense" button all at the same time!)

If you have one of these, or something similar, do leave a comment telling me what you think. If you like tea, leave a comment telling me what kind you like. If you have a question ... You get the idea--I just enjoy reading your comments!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I am so jealous.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Truly, Vic, I don't know how I've managed this long without it! Just click on the link in this post and order one. You won't be sorry.

Julie D said...

I have a similar one at home and think it's AWESOME!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Yes, it's great for busy people; and you look busy! Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

wow! that looks pretty high-tech! I'm more of a kettle on the stove sort of tea drinker, but this is really a nice set of perspectives/views/suggestions. --Don

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Thanks, Don. The lone occasional tea drinker can do just fine with the tea kettle, but if you ever decide to have tea parties ...

naomi said...

Oh, I'm jealous! I love Zojirushi anything. They put out such great products.

I'm a tea lover so would love one of these. Your post is making me NEED one.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Thanks for stopping by, Naomi. Yes, I hear their rice cookers are the best. But I don't eat enough rice to sacrifice the counter space! But I drink tea all day every day, so this wonderful thing deserves a piece of prime real estate in my kitchen.

Anonymous said...

I give tea parties, too, and this would be a handy thing to have!
Deborah

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Yes, Deborah, you should definitely get one. It really saves a lot of bother, keeping track of the kettles.

Anna Johnston said...

This would be awesome for the outdoor functions I agree, thanks for sharing, I'll follow up.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

You would enjoy it, I'm sure. It's amazing! I love that it actually boils the water, a must for a proper cup of black tea.