24 December 2010

Hummus - Middle Eastern Dip/Spread


Hummus - Classic Hummus - no nonsense! / www.delightfulrepast.com

Hummus, possibly my favorite Middle Eastern food, is one of those things I've been making for decades, and I still love it! It's also one of those things that can be either really good or really bad. The really bad ones are too dry or too runny, too highly seasoned or too bland. When it comes to hummus, I'm a purist and think "real" hummus should have just six ingredients, not counting garnish. And I use all organic ingredients.

I've told you before how I feel about garlic. It's a wonderful thing when used judiciously, but there are other flavors in the world! Many dishes that typically have garlic can be greatly improved by using less or, in some cases, no garlic. However, there are some things that simply must have a little garlic (and when I say garlic, I don't mean garlic salt or garlic powder or chopped garlic from a jar). One of these is hummus. There is no hummus without garlic, but it only needs a tiny bit.


Update 08/29/16: I stopped buying pita bread some time ago when I started making my own. It's quite easy, and I hope you'll try it soon. Also, try my Baba Ghanoush.

Hummus - Classic Hummus - no nonsense! / www.delightfulrepast.com

Hummus


(Makes 2 cups)

1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
1/2 cup unsalted tahini
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon (1/2 small clove) minced garlic

1 In bowl of food processor, place all ingredients. Process until smooth, about 5 minutes. If you prefer a thinner consistency, add a little more lemon juice or olive oil. If you're not using a Meyer lemon, though, you could make it too lemony, so a little water might be better.


2 Put into serving dish and cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface. Refrigerate for at least a few hours or overnight before serving.

3 Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and a little finely chopped mint, flat-leaf parsley or pistachios.

4 Serve with whole wheat pita wedges, Armenian cracker bread and raw vegetable strips. Enjoy the delightful repast!

And now for something completely different ... has nothing to do with hummus, nothing to do with food ... just a little something to make you feel warm and cozy on a cold, winter day. 


 


Tuppence and Lionel (my fave) belong to Judy at Cranberry Morning.

Jean

20 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a freak for hummus. It's so delicious. Yours looks wonderful. And yes, for the garlic.
Have a wonderful Christmas.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Michael, thanks so much! I'll think of you when I make the next batch!

Sully said...

Back when I was teaching at Fordson H.S. in Dearborn, MI, my students regularly brought me mid-eastern goodies or invited me to their family restaurants, bakeries etc. So I developed a taste for (and maybe a bit of capacity to judge)hummus. Have to say, you've put it on the mark as far as precision in the ingredients and the need for touch in proportions, as in garlic. I love sauces and spices, and to me hummus acts very much like a sauce with many foods. Thanks for starting my Christmas salivating early...

Cranberry Morning said...

Awww, thanks, Jean, for posting the pic of Lionel and Tuppence. :-) We have had a few sad days because of my dad's funeral, but his 'timing' couldn't have been better, since the family was here for Christmas anyway, so they were all at their grandpa's funeral and saw all the extended family. This morning we started off the day on a joyous note with The Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College. It was, as usual, wonderful. Have a very merry Christmas!!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

My pleasure, Judy--Lionel and Tuppence are very photogenic! I'll be thinking of you all as you both mourn and remember joyously your father while you're all together.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Sully, thank you! Glad to have the stamp of approval from such an expert. Come back next Friday for Baba Ghanoush.

BellsInSpires said...

hello! that is the most beautiful hummus i've ever seen! =)
also! i finally found the giant marshmallows that you told me about awhile ago, and posted about them! ;)
http://bellsinspires.blogspot.com/2010/12/5-lessons-and-marshmallows.html

happy holidays!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Hi! Glad you like my hummus! Read your post, but those aren't the marshmallows I told you about. I only ever tell anyone about PlushPuffs, http://www.plushpuffs.com. (And I have no connection with the company, I just appreciate their fine marshmallows!) They come in all sorts of flavors and are made from quality ingredients. They are vastly superior to anything you will find in the grocery stores.

Anonymous said...

Looks fabulous! Merry Christmas, Jean! Hope you are having a splendid day! Vic

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Thanks, Vic! Come back next Friday for my Baba Ghanoush. Hope you also are having a splendid day!

TONY said...

Thanks for this Jean. I do like a good hummus. My daughter Emily,has done a stater chefs course at college. She made a hummus for us one day that was absolutely delicious.

We usually eat the TESCOS variety, which isn't bad but not as good as yours by the description you have given. Your recipe sounds wonderful. I'll pass it on to Emily.

Tony

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Thanks, Tony! I hope you and Emily will like the recipe. And come back next Friday when I will tell you how to make easy oven-toasted pita wedges and baba ghanoush.

Meghan@travelwinedine said...

I just made hummus, but yours is much prettier than mine! I am finally getting the hang of it; I think for years leaving out the tahini was my biggest mistake. It makes such a difference!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Thanks, Meghan! Yes, leaving out the tahini would be very different. I really like tahini and my next couple of posts will include it. Good in other things, but a definite must for hummus.

Nancy said...

Hello Jean,

Classic recipe for hummus but to be honest, I put more garlic in mine as I am a true garlic fiend!! But that is the best part about making your own - you can flavor it exactly to your liking!!

Love the photo of Tuppence and Lionel!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Glad you liked the photo! I just adore Lionel! Hate store-bought hummus. Always too much garlic and usually something else. I'm actually allergic to garlic and shouldn't be eating even a small amount!

Lisa Theirl said...

Is there anything in the world more satisfying than hummus spread on a bit of pita bread? Thanks for the recipe and, yes, I will be sure to include lots of fresh garlic. Tuppence and Lionel look really sweet and appear to be quite content. Nothing like a few kitties to warm up a cold day. I have a female ginger tabby who looks a lot like Lionel. I may have to check out Cranberry Morning to leave my regards.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Thanks, Lisa! I envy you having a ginger tabby! They are my favorite cats.

Pegi said...

I am trying this one next. Please tell me where to find the tahini. Do you have a favorite brand? How can you live without garlic???

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

I occasionally allow myself a little garlic, when I'm not driving (It makes me sleepy!). But you will find that when you make things with a lot less garlic than you think you need, it's a lot better. Too many people just use too much of it. The hummus just needs a tiny bit. I get tahini at the health food store. Different brands. What I currently have in the fridge is Once Again organic tahini. Has just one ingredient: sesame seeds. No salt. Other good organic brands at health food stores.