15 July 2011

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt


Strawberry frozen yogurt is something I made simply because it would be "better for us" than our luscious homemade Strawberry Ice Cream. Turns out, we like it every bit as much! You can use full-fat or low-fat yogurt, if you like, but that would have defeated my purpose of making this "good for us."

Did you notice the frosty jar in the photo? If you've read my adventures with fruit, you know I have a real thing about preserving summer's bounty to be enjoyed year round. So when I saw that organic strawberries were on sale, I thought I should prepare and freeze enough for a few extra batches of either strawberry ice cream or frozen yogurt.

I just measured 1 1/2 cups of the finely chopped (12 pulses in the food processor) strawberries into each of the pint freezer jars and stirred 2/3 cup sugar into each, put the lids on, let the jars stand at room temperature for an hour to dissolve the sugar, and then put the jars in the freezer. Now when strawberry season is just a memory, I can thaw a jar and whip up a batch of ice cream or frozen yogurt.

If you want to make this, now is the time. July is National Ice Cream Month, and the third Sunday of July--that's two days from now--is National Ice Cream Day. It's so easy that if you make it for the first time, you'll ask yourself why you've waited so long! What is your favorite flavor?

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

(Makes about 5 cups)

1 32-ounce container organic plain nonfat yogurt
1 1/2 cups hulled and sliced organic strawberries (1-pound clamshell more than enough)
2/3 cup sugar
Pinch salt
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or triple sec
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 Strain the yogurt (I used Straus Family Creamery) for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator. You can use cheesecloth in a colander set over a bowl. I just happen to have found, way in the back on a very high shelf in my kitchen, a set of two 16-ounce yogurt strainers I didn't even know I had! Getting all that extra liquid out of the yogurt will keep your finished product from being too icy.

2 By hand or in food processor, chop strawberries as finely or as coarsely as you like. (I did about 12 pulses in my food processor similar to this one: Cuisinart DLC-2009CHB Prep 9 9-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless) Place in a medium bowl (I use a 2-quart glass measure to make pouring it into the machine easier); stir in the sugar. Let macerate for an hour.

3 Add strained yogurt and remaining ingredients to strawberries; whisk until thoroughly mixed. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. The only reason I added the liqueur is that a little alcohol keeps the frozen yogurt from freezing too icy and rock-hard, but the orange flavor is a great accent to the strawberry.

4 Assemble the Cuisinart ICE-21 Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream-Sorbet Maker; turn it on. While it is running, pour the chilled mixture through the spout. Let mix until thickened, about 15 minutes.

5 Transfer the soft frozen yogurt to a freezer-safe airtight container and place in freezer for at least 2 hours. Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Another fantastic frozen dessert recipe! the color is absolutely beautiful! I'll be honest, next to chocolate ice cream, strawberry is my favorite! :)

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Thanks, Jenn! This is definitely my summer of frozen desserts!

nancy@skinnykitchen.com said...

Looks yummy and healthy too. I'm grabbing my ice cream maker this weekend and going give it a try!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Nancy, thanks! Just don't be like me and think just because it's so "healthy" you can eat a whole quart of it!

Thomas "Sully" Sullivan said...

I agree, a quart is too much. Three pints is better. The serial method of over-indulging is always a more thoughtful and responsible approach. That way, good intentions are preserved categorically, even if the end result is preserved calorically. Think of it as storing the yogurt in a different place than the refrigerator… Pip, pip!

And I believe this is the first time our blogs will cross paths, as mine publishes tonight! The countdown begins. 5 strawberry yogurts, 4 strawberry yogurts, 3 strawberry...

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Thanks, Sully! Same with tiny cookies and mini cupcakes. They are so small, you can eat a dozen without even thinking!

Cranberry Morning said...

Oh! You are amazing! That is an excellent idea and a beautiful photo. Such a delicious summer treat. Lots better than the ice creams I made two summers ago. I swear those pounds are still haunting me! And when the strawberry season is over, there's the peach season to look forward to!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Thanks so much! Can't wait to get my hands on some really good peaches!

Unknown said...

Looks brilliantly refreshing! And very good to know that this is good for us :)
My favourite ice-cream flavour is coconut! I need to make it soon.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Thanks so much, Michael. I wouldn't dare make coconut ice cream - my husband isn't a coconut fan, and I would end up eating the whole batch by myself!

Megan said...

I'm a moron in the kitchen and allergic to strawberries...so if I were to use blackberries instead, what if anything should I change?

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Thanks for commenting, Cheryl! I don't think you'd need to change a thing except the liqueur. The orange flavor wouldn't be the best accent for the blackberries. Maybe some Chambord or other berry liqueur, or even plain vodka. Let me know how it turns out!

Jenn said...

This sounds like the perfect Summer treat!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Thank you, Jenn! It IS very refreshing!

Steph @ Lick My Spoon said...

Yum! looks like a perfect summer treat :) love that frosty jar!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Steph, thanks! Such treats help me cope with summer (not crazy about summer - must have reverse SAD!).

Vic said...

Your photo makes that ice treat look almost inviting enough to get me into the kitchen! Hah! Love that image!! Question: how long has yogurt been around and do you know any 200 year old recipes?

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Thanks, Vic! Yogurt has been around for many centuries. Francis I (a contemporary of Henry VIII) used it on the advice of an Ottoman Turk sultan 500 years ago. Not sure if Jane used it!

Anna said...

Wow, this looks delicious! This must be lovely on a sultry summer's day.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Thank you, Anna! Yes, while I also love my homemade strawberry ice cream, the nonfat frozen yogurt is soooo much more refreshing on a sizzling summer day.